Friday, May 12, 2017

When the Prepper Meets the Greenie


I was looking for some information on my blog, and I was referred to this list of non-traditional prepping items. 

In that blog post, I discuss the items suggested on the list (to which I linked in my post).  The one item that I found very clever and potentially useful was sandbags, which the author used for building. 

I'd never considered sandbags a building material, but when I read this list, that light went off.  Of course!  Duh!

I never did find a source for sandbags, but as I was reading that post recently, I realized that I, actually, have something better ... and free (ish)!  And it turned into one of those moments when I realized that the universe was looking out for us.

I purchase all of my feed from a local feed store.  We've been patronizing these folks for decades.  They used to just a few miles from my house, but moved to a different town.  When we started raising rabbits, we bought our feed from them, and when we decided to get into suburban chickens, we went there. 

They stock feed from a Vermont company.  It's good feed, at least we seem to have healthy animals (not true of some of our friends who were feeding their livestock a different brand, and switched at our recommendation), and at first, it came in paper bags, which was cool, because we used the bags as weed block in the garden.

Then, they switched to using a plastic bag.  At first I was incredibly annoyed, because the paper bags were useful, and the plastic bags were just waste.  But then, one time, it rained on the feed bag, and I was happy that the feed was protected.

Of course, the plastic bags were still waste, and we ended up with a bunch of them just lying around the yard.  Which is when Deus Ex Machina came up with the first way to reuse them:  sliced in half, long-ways, we stapled to them to the top of our wood pile to keep most of the rain and snow off the wood. 

My original plan for this year was to grow potatoes in strawbales, but strawbales cost money we don't have to spend right now.  What I do have, however, are lots of feed bags ... and compost!  So, that's what I'm using.  Et voila! Potato planters.

 



But the final epiphany came to me when I was rereading that post about sandbags.  If I can use those bags as potato planters, I could also use them as sand bags. 

Guess I'll be storing up those feed bags instead of tossing them.  Maybe I'll end up with a feed-bag root cellar afterall. 

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I never thought of using feed bags for growing potatoes! We have plastic feed bags that are well then and I never thought of us growing potatoes in them. I might have to try that but thanks.

    ReplyDelete